Friday, January 25, 2008

Firebrand

So i just started a new internship this week... in fact I'm there right now. Anyways, it's with Firebrand, a company that compiles funny, creative, etc. commercials and shows them on TV and internet as entertainment. Check it out at http://www.firebrand.com. The whole concept of commercials as entertainment content got me thinking about alternative media, and exactly how you would define it. Is taking commercials and re-appropriating them as pure entertainment a form of alternative media? It's still mass commercial media, but put in a different context. I'm still undecided on whether Firebrand can be considered alternative media or not. Going to a site or turning on the television just to watch commercials is definitely different, but isn't necessarily alternative. Maybe after working here for more than 2 days I'll have a more decisive view on it. check out their website, I'd like to hear what my fellow media-inclined peers think about it, especially you media studies majors!

-Lindsay Kozlowski

No comments: