Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Spam/Solicitation in the future

So, I remember a while back I had to text a number on my cell phone to ensure that I was put on a "no solicitation" list. I remember being completely in awe that corporations would even be allowed to do such a thing - cell phones are hyper-personal, more so than land line phones. I mean, my cell phone number essentially acts as my second Social Security number - a number assigned specifically to me. What right does anyone have to retrieve that information without my knowledge?

Well, lo and behold, a couple days ago I got a spam message - not on my cellphone, not via e-mail, but - through Facebook. I don't know if this new or not, but it's certainly the first I've heard of it. I got a message on my wall from one of my "friends" (someone who I have not talked to in years, which, in itself says quite a bit about Facebook) saying "Sure! I get my ringtones from www. RingRockstar .com". The correct capitalizations and punctuation are a dead give away that this person did not in fact write this message.

What's most detestable is the phantom approach - I got an e-mail saying THIS girl WROTE this on MY wall - not RingRockstar.com writing on my wall, but a "friend". How long before Facebook and other websites fall victim to these schemes?

Eric

2 comments:

Aaron said...

Whatever is causing this - ended up striking one of my friends too -- they're sending that same message on all of her friend's walls. Pretty annoying... I hope her account isn't compromised.

Unknown said...

I just got two today!! Found your blog from googling the website name and facebook. Strange...I hope that FB fixes it soon because it's very very annoying.