Wednesday, April 23, 2008

1 in 4

As I expect most of you noticed, for sexual assault awareness week people all over campus wore bright yellow shirts that said "1 in 4." This is a reference to the statistic, that 1 in every 4 women will be victims of rape or attempted rape by the time they graduate college. I found the presence of the shirts on campus really effective. The shirts' presence created dialogues about this issue that would otherwise not have happen, and they constantly forced me to reflect on the pertinence of the statistic. This act reiterated my feelings that there is something irreplaceable about human beings participating in media in a physical (as opposed to television or comuter-oriented) way. Had I seen pictures of people online wearing these shirts, or even had 1/4 of my facebook friends put something like this statistic on their profiles, it could not have held the power the physical presence of people in shirts offered.

~julia

No comments: