Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Facebook Conversation Cont.

So to continue the conversation we were having in class last week about facebook...I was friended this weekend by my mom. My immediate reaction along with everyone that I told was "Wow. That's really weird." My thoughts led me to think about the fact that I couldn't not accept my mom's friendship. That was not an option. And while I'm not embarrassed about the image that I present of myself online to my friends there are many things that I would not want my mom to see. I also didn't want to grant her limited access to my profile because I thought she might question why some parts of a normal profile were not visible on my profile. I spent that morning reworking my page, mostly having to do with facebook albums and tagged pictures. I find it very interesting how facebook which is intended to be this public space is really a limited and private experience meant for certain people and not others.

I spoke to my mom later that day and she told me that when she was signing on and creating a profile she accidentally sent a request to EVERYONE in her address book to either accept her friendship or join facebook and create a profile. It was unclear if she even meant to friend me at all. She also questioned why I was listed as married on my profile. I have been married to my Freshman year roommate since Freshman year and my mom couldn't understand why that was and also why I would be listed as married but still interested in dating and meeting people. I'm still uncomfortable with the idea that my mom can see my profile at any time and am proceeding with caution now.

~Liz

No comments: