Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Periscope Radio

Back in his Carleton College days in Minnesota, my brother was involved with the school’s radio station, KRLX, more specifically, with their Periscope Radio program, running sort of short, low budg versions of the kind of topic-focused features done by NPR shows like This American Life or Talk of the Nation. I remembered I had a couple of mp3s on my computer so I thought I’d share them. The first is on the school’s yellow bike program, suspiciously similar to our own pink bike program. They do an interview with the student who got the program up and running then interview students around campus who have stories to share about the yellow bikes.
Though I’m not a regular listener, I know that while my brother was there, Periscope primarily created features smaller in scope, looking to college life or the local area and culture around the small rural town of Northfield. I remember one episode that focused on the area’s cattle and beef industry, for which my brother conducted some interviews at a nearby slaughterhouse.
Occasionally, though, Periscope aired shows that students had prepared during their travels. The second clip I dug up was from the show my brother prepared during a fellowship trip to Iceland to research the national culture of geothermal pools. I could only find the intro, but here it is. Generally, though, I think they stuck to the local, so that’s just for fun. A quick glance at their current blog suggests that they’ve focused more exclusively on internal college culture recently.
I’m not too familiar with WVKR, so I was wondering if anyone knew whether we had any similar shows at Vassar that focus on college or Hudson Valley social/cultural topics rather than music or politics. ????

No comments: