Tuesday, February 12, 2008

e-zine-aphobia


In the book "Alternative Media" by Chris Atton (I picked it up from the library), he explains that an e-zine does not have the affect of a printed zine. He says that the experimentation of lay out and design are lacking in online zines (Atton 68). Atton adds, "[The e-zines'] ways of 'doing business' become less distinguishable from the dominant pratices in cyberspace" (69).

Do you believe this? Do you have any examples to counteract or support this argument?
What are the benefits and draw-backs of having a zine or any other type of publication online versus in front of your face?
Will this change over time?

Personally, I prefer the print version of everything, but it is cool how many different magazines you can access online for free. And, also, you save trees that way. But, really, if I were to make my own zine, I'd like it to be in print. That would seem so much more real to me.

Cool startled face, right?
Jason

1 comment:

DeeDee Halleck said...

ah... trees... I just saved a few. I was going to xerox two proposals to hand out today in class, but I thought about all that paper and decided to just post the proposals. One reason I wanted to print them out was to show the heft and weight of them... another was to make sure everyone got to the end, the budgets, etc. So your post has made me think about the differences. I guess one difference between stuff on line and in the "real" world is that the "whole" document is there-- showing the size and extent. I wonder when documents (or zines) are clicked on, how many people actually go to the last pages?