Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Stumbleupon.com

Kind of going off of the link that Eric posted (musicovery.com), I was thinking about the ways in which people might go about finding alternative media, and whether one particular way might be better than another. I came across musicovery.com about a month ago using stumbleupon.com. The site claims to allow you to " Channel surf the internet with the StumbleUpon toolbar to find great websites, videos, photos and more based on your interests. StumbleUpon learns what you like and makes better recommendations." I guess one benefit of using such a site is that it might be easier to find alternative sites since you don't have to put as much effort into looking for them on your own. On the other hand, one drawback may be that you come across so many different sites and end up not really paying much attention to any particular site. Just as an example, musicovery.com has been on my ever growing list of "sites that I like", but I still haven't gotten around to actually using it.

-Laura

2 comments:

the COOL class said...

Thanks! I was just about to run out of my insightful alternative media portals and examples. Hopefully this will help me find more for next time - seriously my next post was gonna be about racist Popeye cartoons. No joke.

~Ben D

the COOL class said...

Thank you for this post! This is extremely helpful!