Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Fidel (short thought)

I have posted already this week, but I was thinking about the media and it just seemed to relevant to our class to be ignored. I woke up this morning and the news told me that Fidel had renounced. On talking to my friend, who is very engaged and interested in Latin American politics, I learned a lot about Cuba, the elections it had in January and how Fidel has not actually renounced, but stated that he will not be accepting to have his name as one of the possible options of candidates to be elected. Though I want to read more and learn more, I found it very interesting that main-stream media has twisted the truth and made a huge fuss about Fidel doing something people who actually keep up with Cuban politics knew was going to happen last month… Why and how does information get manipulated in such a way? And what will be the repercussions of information being manipulated in this way?

Juliana

No comments: